Friday, January 23, 2009

On Being a Nomadic Potter

I can't wait to get into my new studio space! The hard thing about being a potter is finding space to work. Over the years I've taken classes at studios that allow you to work, but you are limited in many ways to thier clay, glazes, schedule and shelf space. I finally got a studio space and started buying equipment only to lose it because the landlord wanted to expand his workspace. For the past few months I've set up a "studio" space in my apartment. My dining table is always covered, I'm constantly cleaning the dust, and I can't fire anything over a few inches in my test kiln. But I'm makin' it work. I look at alot of the "Featured Sellers" on Etsy.com (one of my favorite sections) and see I'm not alone, almost everyone has set up some kind of makeshift studio. I love to see how people have full screen printing studios in their garage, welding equipment in their city apartments, or CNC machines in their parents basements. But there all doin' it, and seem really, really happy!

No comments: